Strange male behavior

Hiccup

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes:
I have a male and female leopard gecko. They are kept in separate enclosures on the same shelving system. Lately, the male has been uninterested in food. He will pick it up then spit it out. Also, all night he tries to climb toward the female's cage. When I take him out to handle him, all he tries to do is move toward her cage. He is obsessed. Is this a problem? Will he resume eating, or will I need to move one of them? I'm not sure what to do, and I'm worried, he is my baby.

JordanAng420

Yeah, it sounds like she could be ovulating, LOL...boys will be boys...

Edit: Also, some male geckos will sense a female gecko that isn't ovulating...but still respond to it, sexually (I hope I can say that) when they reach sexual maturity themselves. Like I said, boys will be boys, hehe...

Last edited:

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
You'll need to move one of them to a different shelf. We usually keep our boys on one rack and our girls on the other. The males will sense that the females are ovulating and they'll stop eating in preparation for breeding.

He should get back to his normal eating pattern once you relocate him to another area :)

Visit our friends