Throwing in the towel???

fl_orchidslave

I can't stand it when I see a breeder at a show wholesale everything out on the last day of a show just because they want to move animals and clear racks! Breeders that sell 10-20 dollar geckos like this at shows just saturate the market and are adding to the overall problem.:main_no:

there is no problem with that. i have sold ten lots to people i know but they were not high end geckos and it was not to the public. i know others that will do the same on some of their low end geckos but it's not to the public. sometimes selling low end lots to other vendors is just good business. there are many things to take into account. you can not chastise people for selling their low end $10-$20 geckos to other vendors.
sometimes if you are not selling any geckos you might want to lower the prices a bit, each show is different.

There's re-sellers that look for good wholesale lots of animals they don't breed. It helps their business by offering a wider variety of animals without the hassle of breeding every single thing themselves. I'm always glad to have less mouths to feed after a good show but I don't have enough geckos to wholesale out without cutting myself short. Vendor to vendor is really a lot different than selling to the public.

Landen

LSReptiles
there is no problem with that. i have sold ten lots to people i know but they were not high end geckos and it was not to the public. i know others that will do the same on some of their low end geckos but it's not to the public. sometimes selling low end lots to other vendors is just good business. there are many things to take into account. you can not chastise people for selling their low end $10-$20 geckos to other vendors.
sometimes if you are not selling any geckos you might want to lower the prices a bit, each show is different.

there is no reason to mark & sell 10-20 gecko's during a show. If you want to sell a wholesale lot to another VENDOR do so outside of the show (not to mention the resalers rarely care about the wholesale lot they just purchased soley for profit - did those animals find good homes??). This just low balls the other breeders that have invested their time and money to attend a show and sell their animals and adding to the overall problem. No wonder why people go to shows looking for cheap buys....

My gecko's are always fairly priced and high quality even the lower end morphs. I do sell gecko's for 20-30 bucks but it's to a retail store which then sells for 40-80 each which is not adding to the problem of saturating the market. I've got to say I do not agree with your reasoning here, and I know others that feel the same. :main_thumbsdown:

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I've been spending the past few days answering all kinds of e-mails. I give someone a great deal (like half price) and that's still not low enough for them.:main_angry: Am I the only one offended by that? I rarely try to get geckos for a lower price and when I do, it's not much lower than asking price. I want nice geckos and I still believe that you get what you pay for.

justindh1

I have a questions for everyone. What do you all pay for gas, alcohol, bread, milk, and etc? For an example, I pay $3.35 for gas right now. I bet all of you will list something completely different and some will be way off from each other on the exact same thing. It's going to be the same with any "product" out there on the market. There are so many factors that play into the pricing of each individuals product that you can't really compare it fairly. Region, reputation, quality, and etc all effect in what someone can charge.

It is fairly ridiculous for people to think that only high end animals should be breed and that's it. I don't do it for the money, that's for sure. Why would I want to breed all or mostly all high end animals? So I can pay out the butt for a pairing that I can't sell them or the hatchlings for even half of what their actually worth? Taking an animal that took a breeder years of line breeding to accomplish and selling it dirt cheap compared to them. Let me work up to the point of having a good reputation, having high-end animals, a network of contacts for selling, and etc. That's what most breeders had to do because it didn't happen over night. It took time, effort, hard work, and YEARS to get there.

The initial cost of getting into breeding isn't cheap but oven the last couple years I have made that money back or most of it. I breed my own feeders and hardly ever spend money on supplies. All I really have involved now is my time. The thing is though, that I enjoy that time. It's not really working to me but enjoying a hobby that I love. I produce less then 40 geckos a year and have little to no overhead. That allows me to enjoy what I am doing and let others be able to enjoy it too while not having to pay out the butt for a expensive gecko that most are going to have as a pet.

A majority of leopard gecko owners own them as pets. They don't breed and never plan to breed. That's why I look at things more from the pet owners view then a breeders view. I guess, I am really more of a pet owner who breeds. My geckos are healthy, most have names, and and they get talked to on a daily basis. If that makes me crazy then so be it but i'm not going to get caught up in the money craze that I see others doing.

Landen

LSReptiles
I have a questions for everyone. What do you all pay for gas, alcohol, bread, milk, and etc? For an example, I pay $3.35 for gas right now. I bet all of you will list something completely different and some will be way off from each other on the exact same thing. It's going to be the same with any "product" out there on the market. There are so many factors that play into the pricing of each individuals product that you can't really compare it fairly. Region, reputation, quality, and etc all effect in what someone can charge.

It is fairly ridiculous for people to think that only high end animals should be breed and that's it. I don't do it for the money, that's for sure. Why would I want to breed all or mostly all high end animals? So I can pay out the butt for a pairing that I can't sell them or the hatchlings for even half of what their actually worth? Taking an animal that took a breeder years of line breeding to accomplish and selling it dirt cheap compared to them. Let me work up to the point of having a good reputation, having high-end animals, a network of contacts for selling, and etc. That's what most breeders had to do because it didn't happen over night. It took time, effort, hard work, and YEARS to get there.

The initial cost of getting into breeding isn't cheap but oven the last couple years I have made that money back or most of it. I breed my own feeders and hardly ever spend money on supplies. All I really have involved now is my time. The thing is though, that I enjoy that time. It's not really working to me but enjoying a hobby that I love. I produce less then 40 geckos a year and have little to no overhead. That allows me to enjoy what I am doing and let others be able to enjoy it too while not having to pay out the butt for a expensive gecko that most are going to have as a pet.

A majority of leopard gecko owners own them as pets. They don't breed and never plan to breed. That's why I look at things more from the pet owners view then a breeders view. I guess, I am really more of a pet owner who breeds. My geckos are healthy, most have names, and and they get talked to on a daily basis. If that makes me crazy then so be it but i'm not going to get caught up in the money craze that I see others doing.

:main_thumbsup:

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I've got to say I do not agree with your reasoning here, and I know others that feel the same. :main_thumbsdown:

Her reasoning that she should be able to sell her geckos, for whatever price she sets, in whatever volume she wants, to whoever, wherever she happens to be inclined to? You disagree with that?

Well then. From now on, you shall only sell your geckos in groups of 1.2, each of them will cost exactly forty one dollars and seventeen cents, you will sell them exclusively to left handed customers under five feet tall and only on tuesdays which fall on even days of the month. 'cause if you get to tell her what she can and can't do with her animals, then there's no reason I shouldn't be able to tell you the same.

A lot of people make a lot of suggestions on this forum. Helpful tips for others to better understand things like production numbers and market pricing and separating profitable projects from those which will operate at a loss. Trying to mandate it, rather than convince people by presenting meaningful arguments though... the idea that someone should not be allowed to sell their animals in the manner they choose... that crosses a line.

Beyond that, you're talking to Robin. Do you really think she's unaware of all the pros and cons and ramifications and details of any given method of selling animals? Do you think she doesn't know exactly what she's doing and why?

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
Well then. From now on, you shall only sell your geckos in groups of 1.2, each of them will cost exactly forty one dollars and seventeen cents, you will sell them exclusively to left handed customers under five feet tall and only on tuesdays which fall on even days of the month. 'cause if you get to tell her what she can and can't do with her animals, then there's no reason I shouldn't be able to tell you the same.

For me, this served two purposes. First, I thought it was a great insertion of humor, because I can tell from reading some of the posts that this is becoming a pretty tense subject. Secondly, I thought it was a great way to point out how absurd it is to suggest someone can't sell their animals however, wherever, and whenever they want. Well Done! :main_thumbsup:

Last edited:

Landen

LSReptiles
The original topic here was saturating the market for leopard gecko's... Your coming out of left field there surinamensis, I didn't tell her what prices to sell them at, but had you been at the show where she marked her gecko's at 10.00 each you probably wouldn't have been to happy about that either. I cannot make anyone sell anything for any amount, but I can speak my mind and give my opinion. Thanks for yours, but it was quickly dismissed. Isn't your problem with my opinion similar to my problem with her opinion? Sounds kinda hypocritical if you ask me. Bottom line, the more people take this type of direction with the animals they produce, the more this problem will continue to happen. And the more posts like this will happen... and so on and so on... :main_no:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Back to basics here: I'm going to my first show of the season with 18 geckos or so and a bunch of supplies. I'm going to look attentive, smile at everybody, give out a lot of information and have half of the people I talk to use my info to buy a gecko from the people across the aisle, and hopefully I will go home with fewer geckos than I came with. Can't wait!

Aliza

robin

there is no reason to mark & sell 10-20 gecko's during a show. If you want to sell a wholesale lot to another VENDOR do so outside of the show (not to mention the resalers rarely care about the wholesale lot they just purchased soley for profit - did those animals find good homes??). This just low balls the other breeders that have invested their time and money to attend a show and sell their animals and adding to the overall problem. No wonder why people go to shows looking for cheap buys....

My gecko's are always fairly priced and high quality even the lower end morphs. I do sell gecko's for 20-30 bucks but it's to a retail store which then sells for 40-80 each which is not adding to the problem of saturating the market. I've got to say I do not agree with your reasoning here, and I know others that feel the same. :main_thumbsdown:

i really do not care what you think. the reality is. it happens. i am not going to lie. on my tables at shows i have all sorts of prices from high to lower. if i decide to sell a ten lot to a vendor that is my business. if you get pissed off and throw a fit then that is your problem.

also if you got a pet store you sell your lower end geckos too then you got the find of a lifetime. :main_thumbsup:

so if i wholesale out a few geckos and you wholesale out a few geckos whats the difference other than the price?

one thing about saturating the market. every single gecko that is born adds to the saturation so yes you laden even though you may produce small numbers it adds to it.

Landen

LSReptiles
i really do not care what you think. the reality is. it happens. i am not going to lie. on my tables at shows i have all sorts of prices from high to lower. if i decide to sell a ten lot to a vendor that is my business. if you get pissed off and throw a fit then that is your problem.

Oh this isn't a "fit".... lol and your right you can do whatever you want. Still won't change my mind about not agreeing with it. I'm still not sure where everyone in this post got the idea that I was telling you what to do... And for the record, I wasn't singling you out, my opinion goes to everyone I see do this.

also if you got a pet store you sell your lower end geckos too then you got the find of a lifetime. :main_thumbsup:
Lucky me...

so if i wholesale out a few geckos and you wholesale out a few geckos whats the difference other than the price?
your avenue is getting show buyers used to shopping 10-20 geckos, my avenue has the consumer still paying fair market value

Syris71

Back to basics here: I'm going to my first show of the season with 18 geckos or so and a bunch of supplies. I'm going to look attentive, smile at everybody, give out a lot of information and have half of the people I talk to use my info to buy a gecko from the people across the aisle, and hopefully I will go home with fewer geckos than I came with. Can't wait!

Aliza

+1 So true

KelliH

I wholesale out 10 lots, sometimes 20 lots of geckos at shows all the time, mostly to other vendors. I don't have them marked at $10.00 each on my table. I make deals, good deals, when someone wants to buy larger quantities.

As far as the saturated market, it has always been this way. It just comes and goes, more or less, in cycles.

As far as lowballers, they have always been out there, and they are always going to be.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I wholesale out 10 lots, sometimes 20 lots of geckos at shows all the time, mostly to other vendors. I don't have them marked at $10.00 each on my table. I make deals, good deals, when someone wants to buy larger quantities.
That's the way to do it! None of us like it when breeders sell their animals marked for $10 on their tables to the general public at shows. I'm not sure why more of 'us' aren't admitting this... I sure do hear a LOT of ranting from some of you when other people do that, LOL!
who are you to decide what fair market value is?
To me, the bottom line is, fair market value is what someone is willing to pay!

KelliH

Oh hell yah I'll be the first one to say it pisses me off when another vendor has a bunch of leopard geckos on their table for $10. ;-p

Luckily it doesn't happen very often!

Landen

LSReptiles
priced on the table was my issue... I have no gripe about selling them outside of the shows, that IS each breeders business completely which I have done as well. Sorry if I didn't clarify that before...

robin

i never have had $10 geckos on my table but i will sale wholesale lots to other people i KNOW, some of which are vendors. landen you seemed to have a problem with this before.

kelli we all love them $5 and $10 dollar geckos at that one table, at that one show :main_lipsrsealed:

Visit our friends