Tremper Albino x RAPTOR = result?

JadedGeckos

Hi My name is Anton(JadedGeckos) and im abit new to breeding and morphs in general so im reading about and gotten alot of info. I have gathered all the info about breeder and such but the results in genetics are abit more tricky to get into my head.

so my question is, if/when i breed my Tremper Albino with my RAPTOR what would the result be? is it possible for that combo to have red eyes, total black eyes ( eclipse i think they are called) is there a name for this combo morph etc. I just want some general info that can dumb it down a little bit for me so i can take it in bit by bit about these two.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Your RAPTOR is essentially a Tremper albino eclipse (RAPTORS used to be so much more, but the use of the term has changed since it was originally coined). The eclipse gene is recessive, which means that the gecko offspring need to have 2 eclipse genes (obviously 1 from each parent) in order to have eclipse eyes. Eclipse eyes in albino leopard geckos are either solid red (they may look solid black but if you shine a light behind them you'll see that they're actually dark red) or may look half white-ish and half red (called "snake eyes"). All your offspring from this pairing will get an eclipse gene from the RAPTOR parent and consequently will be "Het for eclipse". Their eyes will look normal. If you want geckos with eclipse eyes, you have to breed the offspring to each other, back to the RAPTOR parent (limited inbreeding with geckos is OK) or with another gecko that has the RAPTOR gene.

Here is an article I wrote for Gecko Time about basic genetics. Note that the main male gecko in this article, Eragon, is still with me and is now 16 1/2:

Aliza

JadedGeckos

thank you so much for the detailed info. helped alot to clear up some thoughts i had with the future breeding. i read somewhere that by the 3rd generation you should introduce a new gecko to reduce the chance for an enigma to happen.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
"Enigma" refers to an actual gene, like "albino" or "eclipse". So, the gecko doesn't already have any enigma genes, there will not be an enigma. I think the person meant that if you inbreed for too many generations, a gecko could have clumsiness and other symptoms that look like the enigma syndrome.

Aliza

JadedGeckos

"Enigma" refers to an actual gene, like "albino" or "eclipse". So, the gecko doesn't already have any enigma genes, there will not be an enigma. I think the person meant that if you inbreed for too many generations, a gecko could have clumsiness and other symptoms that look like the enigma syndrome.

Aliza
ooh i see. there is so much to remember.. but i think ill get a hang of it after a while!

Visit our friends