URGENT RESPONSES NEEDED!!!

BowlODirt

Hi, I just got a new leo gecko from my friend’s brother who wasn’t taken good care of him, his name is Yeti. Note: I’ve only had him for less than 2 weeks but he’s about a year old(?).
Cutting straight to the chase, he is really social and active and likes to be crawling on people a lot. However, today when putting him back in his tank, he jumped off my hand onto the heat lamp I have for him (which is super hot to the touch) and out of panic, he jumped off his lid and I wasn’t able to catch him before he fell on the floor (a plastic chair pad on top of carpet. His cage lid is 40 inches off of the ground)
after he landed though he seemed to go into a paralytic shock (almost looked like when you use a stun gun on someone), but I didn’t want him to fall off my hand if he managed to regain movement while I was putting him back, so I let him sit for about 10 seconds before he started running around again. I managed to get him back in his tank and I sprayed him with a little bit of water and he seems to be ok enough now however I’m really scared of any side effects and I’m scared of this happening again.

BowlODirt

UPDATE: I texted my friend who knows a lot about gecko’s and she texted her dad. He doesn’t have any burns or irritation on his belly from what I can tell and he’s back to walking around and climbing his hide. :) I’ll check up on his belly again tomorrow morning and if needed I’ll get some burn cream for him while I’m out!

Samcman

You might want to remove the heat lamp all together. Leo’s get heat from their stomach so a heating pad with a thermometer to regulate it is most commonly used. And heat lamps have been known to dry out their skin because of the light.

BowlODirt

I don’t have money rn but I’ll definitely save up for one!! I wasn’t aware before, so thank you!

Visit our friends