Using GEO's

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
was just curious if i need the substrate barely touching the underside of the GEO or if they need to be levitated slightly from the medium?
I found that you definitely need the egg slightly elevated from the medium. If the egg touches the substrate, and it is really moist, you will have mold start to grow. :)

Shrapnailed

I found that you definitely need the egg slightly elevated from the medium. If the egg touches the substrate, and it is really moist, you will have mold start to grow. :)

Thanks! I couldnt seem to get a direct answer on that one! Just had a bad 2 day power outage. lets see how resilient these eggs are!

LepoInc

In all reality, after using both GEO's and THG Trays, they both work well, and are hard to mess up. I have used Perilite and Vermiculite with 100% success (granted the eggs were fertile.) Yes, like scm said, you don't want the eggs actually touching the medium. Mold is easy to combat at first but if it gets out of hand, which it can fast, it gets nasty.

It also depends on the species, too. GEOs are good for leopard geckos as the impression fits the eggs well, but THG are a little more snug, and leopard gecko eggs tend to get rather large in the right conditions. But crested eggs are smaller so THG would be good for those (for future reference)

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
Haha its alright! I definitely like the coco fiber medium much more than the water crystals. tried out both and eggs with the water crystals rotted

My buddy used the water crystals with great success, maybe it's random luck but using your own medium is probably best (as already established lmao)

In all reality, after using both GEO's and THG Trays, they both work well, and are hard to mess up. I have used Perilite and Vermiculite with 100% success (granted the eggs were fertile.) Yes, like scm said, you don't want the eggs actually touching the medium. Mold is easy to combat at first but if it gets out of hand, which it can fast, it gets nasty.

It also depends on the species, too. GEOs are good for leopard geckos as the impression fits the eggs well, but THG are a little more snug, and leopard gecko eggs tend to get rather large in the right conditions. But crested eggs are smaller so THG would be good for those (for future reference)

Thanks for the info! something to keep in mind for when I try a GEO/THG/for those using them. Because like Shrap said, it's not easy to find a definitive answer to a lot of these breeding questions except for places like this.

LepoInc

It's a lot of trial and error. I had zero success with water crystals and zero with cocoa fiber. Didn't put much effort into making it work but still.

Just remember, they've been doing everything naturally on their own for years and years. It's not rocket science

Visit our friends