What is optimal humidity in the tank?

jschaf1

HI everyone,

I was wondering what the optimal humidity in my tank should be for my leo.

For the last couple of weeks I have noticed it varies between 25-30%. Is that good enough? I don't keep a humid in there al the time. Just when she is shedding.
If I need to increase it what do you recommend. I have heard some people say misting is not good.

Thanks!!

leogecko88

I think 25-30 is pretty good. My tank's humidity is about the same. I also keep a humidity hide in my tank all the time. My leo spends most of her day inside of it.

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
I wouldn't worry so much about the humidity of the tank - rather keeping the humid hide in the enclosure at all times. Mist the moist hide (not the entire enclosure) every other day - and this will provide sufficient humidity for your leo. You'll find that your leo enjoys hanging out in there, even when she's not shedding.

jschaf1

Thanks everyone. Does anybody know what the minimum humidity in the tank should be?

Should it not drop below 20%?

As for a humid hide. I do have one of those 3in1 Zoo Med repti shelters in there all the time which could serve as a humid hide. However I have been using it as just a dry hide in the middle of the tank (betwen hot and cold sides). If I were to use this as a permanent humid hide what sort of substrate should I put in it to retain moisture? Right now I jut put dry paper towels in there (remember I dont use it as a moist hide at the moment).

My gecko does seem to spend alot of her time in that 3in1 hide, I am just worried if I change it too a humid hide she won't be as comfortable in there or may get sick from the constant humidity? Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks!

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
Our geckos LOVE moist cocoa fiber. It's inexpensive, lasts forever, and maintains the moisture well. Our website has pictures if you want to take a look at the care sheet. Most of our leos sleep in their moist hides. We use tupperware containers with an entry hole cut in the lid. They climb in when they want to hang out in there.

I would suggest keeping your other hide (dry hide) on the warm side of the tank, just above your UTH. This will give your leo two distinct areas to settle into.

Visit our friends