What to do/use in the event of power outage

F

fikken

I unfortunately live in what i would refer to as the arctic hell scape known as NH/MA region and during the course of winter we experience Nor 'Easters, Ice storms and blizzards. I'd like to know what can be used, outside of a gas powered generator, to keep the geckos warm/heated during power outages. I've had power outages last anywhere from 30 minutes to several days (really bad ice storm last year). I found this http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/962e/ which is a charge up generator but it would only last maybe 1 hour with my 100 watt light. I was wondering if any place sells battery operated heating sources or whatever you guys may use in these situations.

LizMarie

Hmm.. I've heard of people using those heat packs that they send with geckos during the winter. Maybe having a big box for back up and changed them out every 2days because they only last around 40 hours.

F

fikken

heat packs? not sure i have heard of heat packs animal safe, would you happen to know where to get them?

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
depending how long the outage is...as long as the temperature of the house doesnt get too cold, I would think they would be fine with some cooling. For extended time when the house temps drop then besides a generator i wouldnt know what to tell you. Put them in a tub with a heating blanket underneath or something maybe

F

fikken

yeah that and so do water pumps/water heaters so one cannot heat water and use those. also a gas generator wont work for those in apartments or people like me that wouldn't be allowed to have one. i am still looking for affordable cheap battery DC charged generators but so far not too much luck. i just rather be prepared than have my poor geckos meet an icy demise. that and i thought this would be a useful topic for others that live in colder states, despite what looks like alot of you living in nice warm places haha. I live in a finished attic room in a 4 floored house so sometimes the heat unfortunately doesn't rise for me. my room sometimes gets colder than the floors below me.

robin

i mean you could use propane heaters but i dont know how safe it would be. i cant remember if gas stoves work when the electricity is out, not often it goes out here especially from the cold.

F

fikken

Well thing is not everyone has gas or can have gas (safety reasons or spacial). Everything in the house that my dad bought that was built this year is sadly all electric. I am still trying to find these heat packs that were mentioned. any other ideas? i am surprised that more new englanders wouldn't have posted a topic about this considering the cold, bad weather we tend to receive

F

fikken

i have one for my computer that i had bought for about $80 and it only has a 30 minute batttery. usually these things have 30 mins to an hour for you to just beable to save and finish what you are doing. good suggestion though.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
POWER OUTAGE??

ups== uninterruptible power supply like they use with computers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_Power_Supply

Rob, although that was a great thought, this is quoted from the article......
A UPS, however, can be used to provide uninterrupted power to equipment, typically for 5–15 minutes until an auxiliary power supply can be turned on, utility power restored, or equipment safely shut down.
It does appear to be for only a short fix.
Take care. HJ

Sandyballs

One time at autozone I saw this device that you put batteries in and you could plug in your things like uth or anything that has the two sticks on the plug

F

fikken

Here are the Heat packs people were talking about. They're probably your best bet since you can't run a gas generator.

thanks for the link mel very useful. i am thinking of picking up a bunch of 20 hour and a couple of the 72s. i wish i had known about these last year when my poor dad lost 100g saltwater tank with over $2000 of fish in it and his smaller 60g salt tank too. Power was out for 3 days for my area and 2 weeks in other parts of nh and maine

Visit our friends