When to handle?

aznguyen837

This is my first year breeding and sadly out of my 6 eggs two were fertile, now I have a 2 month old and a 1 month old baby, same parents, different clutch :D. I am wondering when can I handle them because they are still in the hissy fit stage and I am sort of frightened by it.

HugeGenes&LoLa

The more you introduce yourself to them, the less frequently they will throw hissy fits. I handle mine on every day or two once they are a week old. Yes, they scream at first, but I usually put my hand far in front of them, then tap their back legs with my other hand to get them to move forward. Once they climb on my other hand, they won't give me any more problems. Just don't try to reach for them.

Deko Gecko

Yes!!!! Excelent.... This is the same i do with my hatchlings .... I start handeling them wen they start to eat. Just to be in the safe side and be sure they do eat. Just do what matt sudgest!

Last edited:

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
I would let newborns relax for the first week or so. Then you'll want to handle them every day so they get used to you. Try not to let their hissy fits scare you. If you react suddenly, your quick movement will only scare them. Just use very slow, fluid movements and proceed with confidence. They will warm up quickly!

Landen

LSReptiles
I handle mine right away. I've got to move them from the egg box to the hatchling tubs somehow anyways. When I see that I've had a hatch. I usually pull the egg container out of the incubator and set in on the shelf so that they can take a look around and they usually tend to watch my movement as I set up a new tub. Then off with the top (while already in the new hatchling tub in case it's a jumper) and I just put my hand in the egg box and let them crawl onto my hand. Then cup the other hand over the hatchling without really touching it and into the tub. This way the only thing they know

Visit our friends