Why???

pmkent1

Ephesians 4:1-6
I hate to break this to you, but symptoms can arise at any time. They might appear okay now, but that doesn't mean they will continue to be. There was a post from a breeder I found on here that stated all enigmas have it, just to varying degrees, though I can't say if that's true or not. It's good that you've decided not to continue though.

~Maggot

I know they can. After seeing it in the babies I did a lot in the way of research on it to see what was going on. I wasnt posting that as an advocate. Just an observation of what Ive seen first hand so far.

athdaraxen

Yeah, in my research, I've found several posts about people with geckos that never showed any symptoms and then all of a sudden started showing them.

~Maggot

Here is the link, I didn't see anything about posting other forum links but if I am wrong please correct me. I am simply trying to share the story.

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/showthread.php?t=61633

Here is another very informative post. I'm halfway through it and have learned a nice bit!

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/showthread.php?t=37502

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk 2.

Embrace Calamity

I know they can. After seeing it in the babies I did a lot in the way of research on it to see what was going on. I wasnt posting that as an advocate. Just an observation of what Ive seen first hand so far.
I know you weren't posting as an advocate. Just saying that the fact they've been fine thus far doesn't mean they will definitely continue to be. Why didn't you put down the ones that couldn't walk or eat?
Here is the link, I didn't see anything about posting other forum links but if I am wrong please correct me. I am simply trying to share the story.

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/showthread.php?t=61633

That's really sad.

~Maggot

pmkent1

Ephesians 4:1-6
I know you weren't posting as an advocate. Just saying that the fact they've been fine thus far doesn't mean they will definitely continue to be. Why didn't you put down the ones that couldn't walk or eat?That's really sad.

~Maggot

The first one I thought I could do something about and failed. The second I did put down knowing what I know now.

athdaraxen

Well sadly to say forum searching didn't come up with much.

I did find some information on where the Enigma popped up from so I'll try emailing them. I'll poke around some other breeders as well.

But so far I got this much.

It seems all Enigmas have Enigma Syndrome. The thing is that a majority of them don't show the symptoms.

The ones that do show them though seem to show the symptoms much more under stress. In severe cases it can pop up at most anytime, personally from reading descriptions it almost sounds like random seizures in the worst cases.

Summary part 1. :D

Embrace Calamity

Well sadly to say forum searching didn't come up with much.

I did find some information on where the Enigma popped up from so I'll try emailing them. I'll poke around some other breeders as well.

But so far I got this much.

It seems all Enigmas have Enigma Syndrome. The thing is that a majority of them don't show the symptoms.

The ones that do show them though seem to show the symptoms much more under stress. In severe cases it can pop up at most anytime, personally from reading descriptions it almost sounds like random seizures in the worst cases.

Summary part 1. :D

Really? It's been my understanding that most of them show symptoms, just not usually severe ones.

Since Bell is the one that created it, I would think he'd be the best one to produce some information on it, though I don't think he has.

~Maggot

athdaraxen

Really? It's been my understanding that most of them show symptoms, just not usually severe ones.

Since Bell is the one that created it, I would think he'd be the best one to produce some information on it, though I don't think he has.

~Maggot

Well I say they don't show because form what I've gathered through forum searching is not very many cases of it. I guess I should have specified that I wasn't counting things like the only symptom the geckos had was say, a head tilt and was never reported on having other symptoms.

There really isn't enough reported cases on the forums I've searched to say that a large amount of enigmas show the symptoms enough to be any sort of problem. This is only going off reported cases on forums, I haven't extended my search farther out yet.

So far I've really only found about 10-20 good threads across 2 forums.

This is really just off a few hours of searching, I'll need more time to gather more data, maybe make some graphs.

That's who I plan to email actually. Him and some other breeders that breed Engima geckos a lot.

Probably a good start to all this would be to get some numbers from breeders to see how many Enigmas they've bred end up having really bad symptoms. That would give us a percentage of some sort.

Embrace Calamity

Well I say they don't show because form what I've gathered through forum searching is not very many cases of it. I guess I should have specified that I wasn't counting things like the only symptom the geckos had was say, a head tilt and was never reported on having other symptoms.

There really isn't enough reported cases on the forums I've searched to say that a large amount of enigmas show the symptoms enough to be any sort of problem. This is only going off reported cases on forums, I haven't extended my search farther out yet.

So far I've really only found about 10-20 good threads across 2 forums.

This is really just off a few hours of searching, I'll need more time to gather more data, maybe make some graphs.

That's who I plan to email actually. Him and some other breeders that breed Engima geckos a lot.

Probably a good start to all this would be to get some numbers from breeders to see how many Enigmas they've bred end up having really bad symptoms. That would give us a percentage of some sort.

I wonder how many of them will give you honest data though? And any symptoms, even if they're just a head tilt or whatever, still count as geckos with symptoms.

~Maggot

athdaraxen

I wonder how many of them will give you honest data though? And any symptoms, even if they're just a head tilt or whatever, still count as geckos with symptoms.

~Maggot

Well I'll find out. I at least want to give it a shot!

I happened across the Grinning Geckos site and it seems they are still trying to survey Engima Syndrome geckos, I will be emailing them once I'm off work, here is a link to the survey.

http://www.freewebs.com/grinninggecko/enigmastudyphase2.htm

Visit our friends