A Forum Game

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Pretty simple concept. Someone posts a photograph, some nomenclature or a clue about a reptile or amphibian (or an invert? I'm just getting it started, I don't care where it goes), the first person to answer/name it correctly then posts their own followup. Sometimes if the forum is particularly busy, people can be posting at the same time, so it's important to verify that your answer was the first correct answer before posting your own.

I personally kind of like the photographic "name this animal" (especially macro shots of part of an animal, like a distinctive eye or scalation), but not everyone will have a picture they can use.

I'll include a photo to start things off, but as examples of non-photos... I could say something like "What is the common name of Shinisaurus crocodilurus?" and the first person to answer "Chinese Crocodile Lizard" would ask the next question. Or it could be "What is the world's smallest snake?" and the first person to answer "Barbados thread snake" or "Leptotyphlops carlae" would post the followup. Anything... easy, difficult, common or weird, herpetology trivia.

Starting things off pretty easily, I'm including a photo as an attachment. This is a snake I found last weekend in Eastern Massachusetts. It's one of the most common species of snake found in North America, with a massive range and over a dozen recognized subspecies. Can you name it?

fl_orchidslave

I'm ready to give it a whirl-

This snake grows to only 24-36 inches in length and is native to the rocky upland areas of the Mexican Plateau. The banding goes all the way around its' body, and in the right light, a lime green outline is visible around the black rings.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I thought it was a rather good choice. Unique enough to be identified by either the photo or the clues. Very tough to tell what kind of question will capture the intrest of readers sometimes, though. Especially when the thread is just starting. You may want to give it until this afternoon or evening and then try a new one if nobody answers. Sometimes it's best to start off low key and approachable before getting trickier with the brain stumpers, once the thread is chugging along and has a lot of participants.

im faster

Should Slow Down
This should be easy for most.

I am named after a Greek god.
I look like something i am not.(in most cases)
I am found around the world.
And be careful i break easily.
(the common name is fine)

5_13_05_45.jpg

Last edited:

fl_orchidslave

I know what it is but it would be nice to have more members participating. Don't give it away Seamus! The hints already make it so easy :)

PS- I really got a good laugh out of the word game, I love those.

Visit our friends