A Forum Game

ajveachster

Another Hint

OK. Here's the hint I promised. Below are several fascio babies at different stages of development. Now what is different about the gecko in picture number one? Think back to Sesame Street days. One of these kids is not like the others. One of these kids just isn't the same...

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/Angelicka_02/mysterypic.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/Angelicka_02/DSC_0075.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/Angelicka_02/DSC_0078.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/Angelicka_02/DSC_0079.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/Angelicka_02/DSC_0080.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/Angelicka_02/DSC_0081.jpg

ajveachster

Come on now. I have to see at least a couple guesses before I just go giving out the answer. Really it is ok to guess what you think might be obvious or obscure. Yes, there is something visibly different about the fascio in the first picture than all the other ones. Let me see some answers people. I promise I will not make fun of you if you guess wrong.

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
Yes, there is something visibly different about the fascio in the first picture than all the other ones.

Other than the neat aberrant pattern, I'm just not seeing anything that should be visibly different. Then again, I've yet to get any direct experience with any of the "pure" subspecies. Trying to fix that though.

ajveachster

Congrats Tokay Keeper! You guessed it right. We have been trying to find it recorded anywhere before that somebody hatched out a pure fascio with an aberrant pattern. We have had no luck. When mixed with other leos the patterns are endless, but in pures all that we have been able to find is banded animals. We will be keeping this little one to see if we are able to reproduce an aberrant pattern in the subspecies, or if this particular animal is a one of a kind.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
1-alpha dextro glucopyranosyl 2-beta levo fructofuranoside...what is it?

Isn't that... white sugar? The kind used for baking cookies? I'll be damned if I'm going to go messing around with chem references tonight though, Bruins game is on. So that may be dead wrong. Some kind of plant generated sugar though. I think.

My fianceé claims she knows where the drives are...I don't mean to be stalling.

A microbiologist that's holding your photos hostage? What diabolical plan for world domination is she working at?

While you think of the above, does ontogeny recapitulate phylogeny?

Ehhh... sometimes. I remain unconvinced of the idea that it's both universal and constant. I suspect there's some observational bias in play on the part of those who really push the idea, there's some serious subjectivity involved in some of the points that are identified as being evidence.

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
LOL @ seamus above...

So I opted to not make this as hard, though I am hoping this will stump some for a little as it'll be a 2 part answer.

idtheseguys.jpg

Though both of these herp species have modest US distributions, they were photographed at an extreme portion of that distribution which makes them a little special.

1. Identify the 2 species (the snake will require a subspecies ID).
2. What makes them special due to where they were photographed?

A correct ID on both will aid in answering question #2.

Last edited:

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
no...but another trip I took to this area resulted in me finding a hatchling TX spiny softshell. While getting photos of it within an algae matt I noticed something odd moving. That odd thing wound up being a flat worm, or planaria. I'll have to re-find the photo of it.

EDIT: adding pic...

planaria.jpg

Last edited:

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Though both of these herp species have modest US distributions, they were photographed at an extreme portion of that distribution which makes them a little special.

1. Identify the 2 species (the snake will require a subspecies ID).
2. What makes them special due to where they were photographed?

A correct ID on both will aid in answering question #2.

Pseudemys gorzugi and Arizona elegans... I'm going to hazard a guess and say that it's A. elegans philipi, making the special thing the fact that they were found together at all.

I have this recollection of a website I was reading on the topic of New Mexican herps and such an overlap would represent a new county identification for one or the other of the two animals. Then again, that website was authored by some dude who works in a pet shop, so it may not be credible.

'course I have also never seen a glossy snake swimming in anything other than a water dish, in a tub, in a rack system, in blue. So that's pretty neat in and of itself.

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
You're 33% right as you nailed one of the species. Furthermore, you got the one I actually thought was going to be harder. Additionally and as you've investigated to some degree, the answers are on-line BUT they are not spelled out.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Tricky stuff then, I was less confident about the snake ID, there are a few tan with brown saddles/blotches species in the South West, the rostal and nasal scales looked a bit off, but my eyes aren't great and I couldn't make the photo any bigger... but it could be either of them. Time to start counting shell segments.

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
hint: seamus got the turtle correct. The snake, as a species (NOT subspecies, which is required) is somewhat common back east. So what would make the 2 species where they are uncommon special.

Visit our friends