A Forum Game

ajveachster

Remember, we are NOT looking for a morph of leopard gecko. We are looking for the subspecies. There are 5 different subspecies of leopard gecko.

ajveachster

I didn't realize my entry was going to be so hard. So here's another hint. Here are the 5 different subspecies. You can pick from the list.

Eublepharis macularius fasciolatus
Eublepharis macularius afghanicus
Eublepharis macularius macularius
Eublepharis macularius montanus
Eublepharis macularius smithi

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I had half-written a reply on page one or two, which I am thankful I decided not to post.

It was going to be to the effect of, "Well obviously I know the answer but these trivia games are not as fun if it is just two or three people going back and forth. I, the great and magnificent Seamus, will deign to allow someone else to answer." The games really are more entertaining as they are more interactive with more people providing more diverse questions. The rest of it would have been pure ego.

Which uh... would really make me feel like a grade A jackass right about now, since I could maybe fake my way through leopard gecko taxonomy with a book open beside me, but stand no chance of answering anything that has to do with subspecific groups intersecting with the cultivation of captive morphs.

It's a real stumper. I like it.

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
^ lol....wait, we already did the lol thread about meat. d'oh

I was thinking E. m. macularius mainly because I'm getting some from Steve Sykes and thought I saw he had crossed them into the Macks. BUUUUT, it was his fascios he crossed. And fascio/afghanicus, which are commonly crossed into Macks aren't the answer; nor is smithi. Which leaves either E. mac. mac (E=mc^2? LOL) or E. m. montanus AND montanus is assumed to be the basal subspecies for original CB leopard gecko, yet the pure subspecies is not assumingly fairly common in the US. So I'm thinking it's E. hardwickii...no I'm joking, that'd be a dead give away!

Montanus....and if it's not it someone just freak'n say macularius.

In the mean time I'm thinking of some obscure US herps I've found in the field to screw with everyone just like this subspecies photo has. :main_evilgrin:

ajveachster

Ok, Thad is right with the subspecies, it is a pure Fasciolatus. Now the second half of the original questions, what makes this one unique? If nobody can guess by the end of the day Monday, I suppose I can share the answer and let somebody else post a pic. I really didn't think I picked something that hard-oops.

ajveachster

Hey TokayKeeper. If you show the pic to Steve he might be able to give you the answer. He is slightly familiar with this animal. Some might feel like that's cheating, but others call it "investigation via interview".

ajveachster

BTW folks...Look at the ad on the right hand side for Retribution Reptiles, it shows the subspecies we have. The answer was posted on the site the whole time to question 1. I will shortly provide another hint for the second part.

Visit our friends