Chain Pet Store Geckos

Dead Dreamer

I know most enthusiasts frown on chain store pets. I also understand the importance of a good bloodline. However, I bought my Hypo Tangerine Carrot Tail Leo about two weeks ago. I bought her at *****. I personally don't have the best opinion of *****. However, it's right down the street from my apartment, and I stopped by a few times to look at the leos. They really seemed to be taken care of well. They were all energetic, healthy looking, and always had gut-loaded food in a clean terrarium. I payed $17 dollars. So far she is awesome! I am wanting another girl soon to give her a friend. I want to know (I know I'm asking a lot of breeders) the real disadvantages of buying another from *****. Please be honest. Thank you.

JordanAng420

Yeah. We can't say the names of those stores.

She's really pretty and looks pretty healthy right now! If YOU really want another gecko, the only reason you should get one is because you want one. Leopard geckos are not social animals and don't need "friends" like ferrets do. As far as where, if you feel comfortable with that store, there's no reason you shouldn't go back. Personally, I feel much more comfortable using a breeder who produced the animal and who dedicates his or her time to reptiles, not the amount of money brought into the store.

J

Jimbojack

I am an employee at one of those stores...and our reputation isnt the best. However I am willing to try to cut corners to properly take care of the animals. I actually break alot of rules...silly rules they are. Over all if you are happy with the quality of animal they keep buy some...if they arent dont buy any...no point if giving a store who cant take care of animals a chance to order more.

JordanAng420

I am an employee at one of those stores...and our reputation isnt the best. However I am willing to try to cut corners to properly take care of the animals. I actually break alot of rules...silly rules they are. Over all if you are happy with the quality of animal they keep buy some...if they arent dont buy any...no point if giving a store who cant take care of animals a chance to order more.

SO true, good post! And coming from an employee of a chain store, we all should take your advice to heart! :main_thumbsup:

Dead Dreamer

Jordan, when you say pretty and healthy for NOW, does this imply that there are often underlying issues that surface later resulting from mistreatment, bad breeding, exc.? Are there any common problems that arise from these stores?

leogecko88

I bought Yoshi from ********, and she was well cared for there. I plan on getting a second gecko soon. If I find one that I like at a pet store, then I will buy it. But only if it is healthy. I've been to too many pet stores that did not care for their animals properly

JordanAng420

There is ALWAYS the possiblility of underlying issues and illnesses. Even with the big breeders with wonderful reputations. I find that these issues seem to arrise much MORE with purchases from pet stores. The main problem I see is an overload of parasites. The geckos are not supplemented with calcium so there are also a lot that are in the beginning stages of MBD.

Most of what they go through is highlighted by severe stress from improper conditions, and crowding from other geckos. Usually, once they're out of the store they do fine unless the animal is visibly sick when you buy it. I guess its kinda like buying a dog from a puppy mill...in some ways you're saving a life, but in others, you're funding the abuse.

My best advice to you would be the same as if you bought a gecko from one of these wonderful breeders that contribute to this site. When you get a chance, have a routine fecal sample analyzed, have the gecko dewormed if necessary, provide adequate supplements and husbandry in general, and you should do fine.

Last edited:

lady.gekko

I work at a petstore. We are a independant, locally owned and operated. The all of our staff knows what they are talking about, and have several reptiles themselves. All our geckos/reptiles come from reputable suppliers, we also try our best to keep our facilities clean. All our reptiles are given proper vitamins, gut loaded insects, fresh water, proper light/heat. We don't over-crowd our tanks and keep one gecko per unit. We are not a big store, but usually don't carry more than one leopard gecko at a time, unless we find some cool morphs. But as I said all are housed by themselves. I think it just depends on who you deal with. It's unfortunate that so many stores get the shaft because of these "chain" stores.

I've purchased geckos from our store, and from specific "outside" breeders. Honestly, I don't see a difference. Unless you are looking for specific morphs, I would rate them as pretty equal.

I also had negative experiences from a breeders too. So they are out there just like the "bad" pet stores.

Last edited:

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
I guess its kinda like buying a dog from a puppy mill...in some ways you're saving a life, but in others, you're funding the abuse.

Agreed. We have lots of great independent pet stores in our area, but the chain pet stores keep their leos in deplorable conditions. It's just awful to see.

CSMGecko

Quality Leopard Geckos
Very true. Remember the animal comes from a breeder of some sort before arriving at the pet store. It's not always the stores fault but the chains don't usually help the situation. I know of one store that I won't get leos from because they over crowd them but I have also seen a direct shipment get unpacked there and they didn't look too good coming from the breeder. The problem with Chains is that they are more for profit margin and quantity rather than quality animals at a fair price.

The smaller specialty stores are the way to go but unfortunately are few and far between because of the chains. I am trying to talk the store near me to buy from me and house them properly but it doesn't really seem to be reaching them.

Sandyballs

Wow it's very amazing to hear this...my local P**C* is very bad with leos, they look very skinny and last time I went 1 looked like he had stuck shed inside his eye!.....If I worked at a chain pet store I would also deffenitly break some rules.8)

By the way I also bought my hypo carrot tail at *****

clegault

We have a local reptile store that is owned and operated privately. They breed their own geckos and get other reptiles in from reputable breeders. They do not take outside geckos from hobby breeders because of the potential problems and unknown backgrounds. I wouldnt buy from the local chain petstore and have bought from the reptile store- my first gecko came from them and all the staff is very knowledgeable- the local chain doesnt do that great of business with reptiles because of them.

N

Necromantica

Awww the poor geckos dropped her tail in the past, its a good thing shes with you now :)

Dead Dreamer

Yeah, I would LOVE to buy my next leo from a reputable breeder, but the prices I have seen are outrageous! Like I said when I made this thread, I have upmost respect for the breeders. They love their animals, and live and breathe their work. But the prices I've seen: $200-$1,000! For a leopard gecko? I do also understand some morphs are hard to come by, but I just can't justify paying that much, unless I wake up rich tomorrow. What is the reason for such a price difference? You guys know a good breeder that sells their leos for a more reasonable price? I don't need some crazy morph.

Visit our friends