Gecko substrate

BlueMan02

Hello!
I can’t find the answer anywhere else, I’ve recently placed a lot of earth mix arid in my Leo tank for the substrate. It’s a nice big tank so I had to use a lot however I’ve noticed it’s very humid and I don’t have a separate tank, does anyone know if my leopard gecko will be okay in a plastic faunarium container the size of a shoebox for one night whilst the new substrate dehumidifies?
Thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It shouldn't be a problem to keep your gecko there for a night. When I used to vend at reptile shows, I would keep my geckos in deli cups for close to 24 hours when I did the NY show from Boston, and everyone was fine.
Another option is possibly to bake the substrate and let it cool, or to let the gecko have a short period of higher humidity, kind of like a cage-wide humid hide for a night. It will be fine that way.

Aliza

BlueMan02

It shouldn't be a problem to keep your gecko there for a night. When I used to vend at reptile shows, I would keep my geckos in deli cups for close to 24 hours when I did the NY show from Boston, and everyone was fine.
Another option is possibly to bake the substrate and let it cool, or to let the gecko have a short period of higher humidity, kind of like a cage-wide humid hide for a night. It will be fine that way.

Aliza
Ah okay, I understand. Thanks! What do you mean by bake the substrate? As in putting it in the oven?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, putting it in the oven. Maybe bake it for 20 minutes at 350F. That should kill any problem creatures.

Aliza

Visit our friends