awholeasszoo

Hello everyone! Just looking from some advice from people with actual experience as online there's a lot of mixed messages depending on what different sites are trying to sell.
I am looking to upgrade my leopard gecko's tank (she's been in one that I think is 60x45x30cm for the last 5 years since I got her as a beginner gecko owner). She's been doing well in it and grew fine but it's a bit difficult to add enrichment items in without using up so much floor space that she cant move around much. I'm thinking of getting one that is around 90x45x45cm but all the glass tank ones are quite out of my budget. She has always been in a glass tank with a heat mat stuck underneath the tank, and a repti carpet with coco fibre on top in the tank which she has done well with. Any cheaper tank options are without a glass bottom so I wouldn't be able to use a heat mat and would have to use some form of bulb which I have zero experience with.
My main concerns:
1. Any bulbs (e.g. halogen) that emit visible light wouldn't be able to be used at night and the room she is in gets quite chilly at night (old house, crappy insulation) so how would I keep her warm during the night when she is more active?
2. I have read that leos are underbelly heat absorbers so would she even be able to thrive without a heat mat? Or would she be okay if I used a heated rock as an underbelly heat source as well as a lamp?
3. I have never used supplemental lighting as I assumed the natural light in the room was enough and she gets vitamin supplements on her food. Is supplemental lighting necessary or will she be okay to continue without? She isn't showing any signs of developmental/metabolic bone issues in 5 years.
4. Would it just be better to wait until I have more money saved and invest in the more expensive glass tank and size up the heat mat with the tank size?

I'll obviously use a thermostat for each heating element and a thermometer and want to get a temp gun too to make sure everything is the right temperature.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated :)
I've attached a picture of her current set up, I've had to add some more stuff for her to climb as she kept trying to scale the foam back of the tank which is just a straight climb up, she has a hide in the back left and her moist hide on the right. I've tried to make as much empty floor space as possible for feeding time but I'd still like for there to be more.

Attachments

• 16955624806326934354113371451782.jpg
    16955624806326934354113371451782.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 4

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
What would the bottom of the new enclosure be if it weren't glass? A lot of the heat mats say not to use on plastic. However, if you're using a thermostat it's OK. It may even be OK to use on one wood as long as you're using the thermostat. You can also check (regularly) your country's version of Craigslist because there are often cheaper used enclosures. I recommend using Zoomed (or other brand) heat cable which is a rubberized heat element that you attach to the bottom of the enclosure with some kind of tape. I use something called "Nashua tape" which is essentially aluminum foil tape with a sticky back and paper over it. It comes in rolls that look like duct tape only shinier. You should be able to install heat cable on any surface and if you get a different enclosure, you can just remove the tape and re-use the cable somewhere else with new tape.

Aliza

awholeasszoo

What would the bottom of the new enclosure be if it weren't glass? A lot of the heat mats say not to use on plastic. However, if you're using a thermostat it's OK. It may even be OK to use on one wood as long as you're using the thermostat. You can also check (regularly) your country's version of Craigslist because there are often cheaper used enclosures. I recommend using Zoomed (or other brand) heat cable which is a rubberized heat element that you attach to the bottom of the enclosure with some kind of tape. I use something called "Nashua tape" which is essentially aluminum foil tape with a sticky back and paper over it. It comes in rolls that look like duct tape only shinier. You should be able to install heat cable on any surface and if you get a different enclosure, you can just remove the tape and re-use the cable somewhere else with new tape.

Aliza
Thank you for your reply! Ill definitely have a look on Craigslist and see if I can find anything for cheaper. The cheaper ones I've seen have a wood similar to ikea furniture and I would be worried about her getting burned by having the mat on the inside of the tank rather than under it but I I will have a look into the heat cable and tape too! :)

Idk if this is safe but I use a mini halogen light bulb and it has worked very well with my gecko for 2 years. I use one heat mini halogen lamp and one uvb mini halogen lamp, they are cheap and easy to install. Plus they are minnniiiii (I am not an expert)

Deano715

The room my leo is in gets enough natural light that l just use a 50 watt night heat bulb from ReptiZoo. Leave it on 24 hrs a day.

Visit our friends