nasty iguana need to tame quick

iguana20s

there are plenty of other animals that are not pack animals who are lovely pets to have. another thing theres no such thing as "absolutes". if you have ever had a iguana and have spent time with it you will see they are kinda animals and i mean actual time not just 10 or so minites but a hour or 2 a day. i hope youll see one day they are great pets. how ever you are right in some ways they can be aggresive if time is not spent with them. tameing a iguana can take a few months all the way up to a year but it can and does happen every day.

Khrysty

there are plenty of other animals that are not pack animals who are lovely pets to have. another thing theres no such thing as "absolutes". if you have ever had a iguana and have spent time with it you will see they are kinda animals and i mean actual time not just 10 or so minites but a hour or 2 a day. i hope youll see one day they are great pets. how ever you are right in some ways they can be aggresive if time is not spent with them. tameing a iguana can take a few months all the way up to a year but it can and does happen every day.

You're right. There are non-pack animals that can tolerate humans. But they tolerate us for other reasons, and until now you hadn't brought any animals into the conversation other than dogs and iguanas. As you (or I) well shouldn't, because each kind of animal responds to stimuli in completely different manners, and we are not talking about animals as a whole. We are talking about iguanas.

I'm not knocking iguanas. They're great for what they are. They're large, powerful, beautiful, and fascinating creatures. They, however, cannot be tamed like a dog and do not make good pets for people who wish to constantly handle their animals.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Iguanas make horrible pets for the average person. Most people are completely incapable of providing the environment an adult iguana truly needs(room sized enclosure) or keeping up with their complicated feeding requirements. Also, iguanas are dangerous. Any large lizard can be, but they are naturally territorial and aggressive animals. They do not "tame" like domestic animals, they are not domesticated. They tolerate humans at best and will shred them in the majority of cases. They are gorgeous lizards and for those than can provide the correct needs they make excellent display animals but they are not "cuddly" or "tameable" in the true sense of the word. Iguana owners who truly care about their animals allow them to be iguanas and don't try to force them into behavior patterns that they are unsuited for.

Waighto

You know, I don't know if this is true or not but I read somewhere that if you feed them fruits and veggies and bugs they'll be nicer than if you fed them meat and stuff. I dunno squat about Iguana's but I swear I heard that in refference to them.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
You know, I don't know if this is true or not but I read somewhere that if you feed them fruits and veggies and bugs they'll be nicer than if you fed them meat and stuff. I dunno squat about Iguana's but I swear I heard that in refference to them.

Totally incorrect. Feeding an iguana a meat based diet is ending up with a dead iguana. They are herbivorous lizards.

BalloonzForU

Haven't we had this conversation before? Haven't any of you guys/gals learned yet that we put way too much human emotion into our reptiles? When someone is heartless or uncaring we call them "coldblooded" for a reason don't we?

iguana20s

yes feeding a iguana any meets includeing bugs will kill your iguana. they are unable to digest the protein cousin kidney failure= a unhealthy and dead iguana

lyndak

Iguanas make horrible pets for the average person. Most people are completely incapable of providing the environment an adult iguana truly needs(room sized enclosure) or keeping up with their complicated feeding requirements. Also, iguanas are dangerous. Any large lizard can be, but they are naturally territorial and aggressive animals. They do not "tame" like domestic animals, they are not domesticated. They tolerate humans at best and will shred them in the majority of cases. They are gorgeous lizards and for those than can provide the correct needs they make excellent display animals but they are not "cuddly" or "tameable" in the true sense of the word. Iguana owners who truly care about their animals allow them to be iguanas and don't try to force them into behavior patterns that they are unsuited for.

:main_thumbsup: R-ReXx is absolutely correct. Iguanas are not for everyone infact, they're probably not for most people.

From my experience (we own a 6ft ig with his own bedroom) they tolerate people at best. The only time Ivan is "happy" to see me is when I have a plate of food, otherwise he really is not interested in me at all.

Personally, I think pet stores should stop selling them all together. The reason we have one is because someone bought one when Ivan was small and handleable and also quite cute. He quickly grew into a full sized unmanageable lizard. We took him in because we strongly feel that an animal should not suffer just because some human took a liking to him when he was young and cute. We've had him for over 12 years now.

When you take on the responsbility of a pet, whether it's scaled, feathered or furred, you take on the responsibility to take care of an animal for the rest of their lives. You can't decide half way through that this isn't for me. Imagine if your parents had done that to you?

My advice to anyone considering a herp is make sure you completely understand what you're getting into. Study study study up on their life expectancy and their needs.

It's just not fair to make an animal suffer for our (humans) needs.

Holly12

Wow!!! this thread has become a nightmare I just got done reading this whole thread and now I am going to say something about Iguanas. Frist off a Iguana can be tame every Iguana has it's personality and they will like you or hate you. If you start tameing it from the time he or she is a baby then they will become tame if you don't work with them then they will most likely trun on you. Iguanas are very smart and they do not mind being handl but thats if they are tame but it takes time and alot of effort to tame a Iguana. So if you have the time then it will become tame but you know what alot of people do?. They don't take the time to tame them and they wonder why they are so mean well hello there? is there anyone home? lol.

lyndak

Sorry but your arguement loses it when you suggest iguana's are smart. They are not smart. There may be the odd einstein iguana but that's few and far in between

Have you ever tamed and lived with a 6ft iguana?

In the 14 years that we've owned Ivan, we've spent as much time with a lizard as you can and we've come to the determination that he's just not interested in human interaction.

Holly12

LOL like I said not all Iguana's have good personality and okay some are smart and some may not be but sorry to say but I did not lose lol. And yes I have tame 2 Iguanas both males and they came out to be awesome. So no I did not lose anything here and I am not on here to get into fights with anyone too so save it.

lyndak

I have not interest in arguing over this at all.
I also think it's great that you've raised two Iguana's. How old are they? Names? pics?

I'm always interested in speaking to people with iguana's, it's fun to compare stories. :)

Holly12

The Iguana;s they are not mine :( they are a friends of mine I whent to there house and help tame them there I will ask them if I can get a picture of them and post it on here. I wish that they was mine lol but I have no room :(. They are now 7 years old and there names are Bud and SweetPea what cute names huh?. :)

Holly12

M_Surinamensis why are you being nasty? that video was stupid and if you have something to say to me then say it. Don't put up a childish video and walk away lol that makes you look like a idiot.

iguana20s

every iguana is diffrent some will be very friendly while some will want you to place there food down,come back tomorrow and do it again and thats it lol . but my experience is that if handled enough they will allow you to socalize with them. but again not all want to be handled some even looked at. my early posts have been baised on little hands on learning. now haveing a iguana almost a year now i can see where every one is comeing from. its like ferrets some people think there mean while others do not. in the end its person preference i think.

Holly12

every iguana is diffrent some will be very friendly while some will want you to place there food down,come back tomorrow and do it again and thats it lol . but my experience is that if handled enough they will allow you to socalize with them. but again not all want to be handled some even looked at. my early posts have been baised on little hands on learning. now haveing a iguana almost a year now i can see where every one is comeing from. its like ferrets some people think there mean while others do not. in the end its person preference i think.

I could not agree with you more and thats what I was trying to say on here every Iguana has it's personality and like you said if you handl them then they can become friendly.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Most people don't have a clue as to how to tame a lizard.

Unfortunately, having read your website, that includes you.

Your "success" list includes a bunch of species that express natural docility. Your methods did not introduce a new behavior where one didn't exist, the talk of bonds and trust is just outright inaccurate, you're just mistaking correlation for causation. You tried your feeding steps with species that are predisposed towards better pet type interactions with people and then assumed your tactics had something to do with the results.

Reptile behavior does not work that way. You can't tame, you can't train, they can't trust, they won't consider you a friend. You can manipulate them, to varying degrees depending on the species, but that is the extent of it. They do not have the capacity for learning or behavioral adaptation necessary to be gradually worked with the way mammals and birds can be, they aren't even as responsive to conditioning associated triggers as many fish and invertebrates.

It baffles and amazes me constantly how many people seem unable, just fundamentally incapable, of appreciating reptiles for exactly what they are without trying to force the idea that they're something else. If you want an animal to be your friend, to train and teach and that will love you, get a dog.* Don't try to make your lizard into one when it's not capable or inclined.

*It's what I did. I'm pretty awesome. Be more like me.

Visit our friends