The Tangelo!

L

leo mel

god i didn't realise temperature would have such a dramatic effect so basically they are tangelos but more of a chocolate type albino tangelo. I will up my temperatures and see with the next clutch, thank you so much, this is my first year of breeding and i will be keeping most of my geckos, it's all a learning curve thank you for all the advice, much appriciated
mel.

L

leo mel

Update on the tangelos is we sold all the chocolate ones and even did some more at the lower temperature as they seemed to go so well, over here in the uk it seems there are people that like chocolate albinos and the tangelos look nice incubated at a lower temperature.
we also raised the temperature to produce some lighter females.
With regards to saying the tangelo is like the hyglo in my opinion they look nothing alike each other the tangelo are heavy bodied, the hyglo's by Alberto are stunning, we have had a poor start with the hyglo's alot of her eggs collapsed early on but we have had 2 hyglo's and 2 raptors from her so we are very happy.:D

Kimjorg

Jeanne said:
Marketing...."Cough".........Make up another name...."Cough Cough" ...... More Money....."Cough Cough Cough".......
HAHAHAHAHA...this is what I along with many other who attended said about "his" booth at Daytona, it was almost a joke!

Anthony Caponetto

I really don't get it...What part of this is supposed to be a genetic mutation?

I don't see anything wrong with giving a name to a line that you've selectively bred. Face it, people compare apples to oranges all the time when it comes to reptiles. Calling a Tangerine Tornado a SHTCTB is like referring to a Ferrari as a sports car...sure the name fits, but the name tells you the caliber of sports car or SHTCTB they're talking about.

Same thing goes for naming a new mutation that you discovered, but naming combinations of existing morphs...I could do without that, unless of course you've made a combo and then selectively bred it to look a certain way.

Unfortunately though, some of our fellow herpers get really caught up in names...if it's a combo, they find it more exciting if you name it something clever. That being said, I'm trying to come up with a name for our Tangerine line. I'm thinking we'll go with Super Hypo Intense Tangerine...has a nice ring to it and the initials give us all kinds of options to expand the line. (Totally kidding, btw).

Anyways, I don't see anything wrong with giving something a name, but it's more than a little gutsy calling it a genetic mutation and not even explaining what this "mutation" is or does.

Then again, this isn't the first time I've scratched my head after seeing one of those exciting new "mutations".

Last edited:

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
Let's face it, there are no naming standards. There are subtle differences in people's lines if you work with them long enough. Like it or not, RT is something of a pioneer when it comes to Leos. Luckily, if you don't like the quality of a line or the way someone markets their Leos you are left with many other options. Aside from the name game and marketing schemes I think RT has had a lot to do with furthering the hobby that we all love. I can't knock someone who has been at it for 30+ years. I'm sure if I dig deep enough I'd find something along the line to disagree with, but why bother. There is good and bad in everything.

Visit our friends