Would you pay the price..?

LizMarie

I've been looking at geckos lately especially rescue geckos. i came across a rescue in colorado with a lot of Leos for adoption and for the month of October have reduced their adoption fee to $35 which isn't bad but the shipping through Delta Airlines cost $176-186..

Would you pay that price to rescue a gecko!? I would love to but I doubt I'll be paying $200+ on a pet that I can purchase locally for $30 - $50

LeapinLizards

It's a BEAUT Clark!
I honestly wouldn't. I'd love to be able to rescue a gecko like that, but the shipping kind of kills it. I'm sure they were aiming their small adoption fees at people in their surrounding area. The $200 you'd spend on shipping that one rescue to you could be spent on 10 rescues in your local area :) That's how I see it I guess. For $200 you could get one gorgeous morph from a breeder!

N

Nigel4less

I personally wouldn't do it. I mean as much as you want to, its just ridiculous.

R

ryanrex

Plus, all the stress that these little guys have been through.. I dont think shipping one would be of any help to their stress level!

rubym

I am a huge sucker for rescues BUT I think I would have to pass on these too. As others have said for what you pay for shipping along you could do several local rescues. You also gave to consider the possibility that they would need vet care then you'd have to pay even more on top of the $200+ you paid to get him in the first place.

L

LeopardGeckoMom52688

You ship them threw fed ex or ups. They go into a litle deli container like you would purchase them in at your local reptile show. then they get packed saftly into a box with a hot pack for these temps and then shipped over night. Usually cost about 50 dollars for 2 to 3 geckos.

bohannbj

REEF AND REPTILES
The adoption fee is a scam for something like this. That's the price I'm asking for some of my healthy leos.

snared99

Luxurious Leopards
What you can do though is ask delta is they would donate a flight to the good cause. I work at a zoo and that happens all the time. PLUS its tax deductable for the airline. But if the price on the shipping isnt lowered i wouldnt either. Another option is fedex or UPS (REPSTER) the shipping is way lower then that price, that is just plan ridiculous.

LizMarie

I was looking at the break down and in the "shipping" cost they add the tolls to the airport, gas, a wooden shipping box and so on and so forth. I would understand if I was wanting to rescue a HUGE iguana or a big tort. but for a little teeny tiny gecko i'll pass. I can spend less then $200 by getting online buying all the things needed and a new gecko PLUS food. Lol.. I understand they're doing a great job by taking care of them in the rescue but don't complain that your overwhelmed with geckos when you charge such high shipping rates.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Aren't they willing to ship through UPS or FedEx? That should be a much lower shipping price, especially if you get 2 or 3 in the same box.

ALiza

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
That is a rather high price for an Adoption Fee = if shipping is additional...

I'm not going to comment on my opinion of whether it's a scam or not. But I'd definitely be weary..

We take and adopt out Rescues.. We charge a 10-15$ fee plus shipping.. this helps with meds, husbandry, and care..

but our animals are vet certified, have been with us for over 4 months, and ours are given with as much detail as we can provide..

rhino43grr

HERE WE GO STEELERS
that's ridiculous. why even offer shipping at that point? most reptile rescues i've seen don't ship animals at all for that very reason. also when your adoption fee is as much as it costs to buy a leopard gecko from an actual breeder it kind of limits your chances of finding them homes.

Alusdra

I'd try to find a local gecko to rescue- in the past year there have been many leos on Craigslist, but the people who reply to the ads a lot of times don't know what they are talking about. If you reply and show you know what's what it's very likely they will adopt to you. I got two from a guy for free with all accessories, and just replied to another guy about two more (not to adopt, just to give info) and people are constantly trying to foist leos at me when I gush about them. I could have three more if I'd accepted the one just my close friends tried to get me to take. (Too bad you're not in Mass, I'd hook you up, lol)

If you put the word out you're looking, the leos will come. (If you build a cage, they will come? hehe)

IMO- that shipping sounds like a scam. It can't possibly be that much. But maybe I've been burned too many times by the eBay item for like $.01 with $40 shipping.

LizMarie

I found this really cool ad on craigslist with a 30gallon tank for 2Leos and everything included for $125 bad thing is I don't have space for that monster tank anymore.. Grr..

cheeseball705

liz 2 words ... white plains i keep trying to talk you into it haha. seriously though for anyhting even clsoe to that go to a reptile show with gas dropping i bet stuff would not cost that much.

LizMarie

liz 2 words ... white plains i keep trying to talk you into it haha. seriously though for anyhting even clsoe to that go to a reptile show with gas dropping i bet stuff would not cost that much.

I would love to but its the transportation. I'm horrible at traveling on the those metro north/LIRR trains..

G

Geck-O

Sorry, off topic question. Doesn't the box the gecko is in for shipping bounce around? When that happens won't the gecko be bouncing like crazy in the box?

Visit our friends