I CANNOT BELIEVE ....

K

Kristy

I have been reading through this thread. I cannot believe some people. These things make me so mad.

I know this is probably a long shot but its worth a try. If everyone could take a few mintues and look on your local section and around your area on craigslist.com in pets for the animal. If it wasn't a gecko person and just a person who saw $$$ they may try to sell "rehome" it on craigslist.

I have seen this happen in my area with animals and not just reptiles. So please check you local area and surrounding cities. Its worth a shot.

Kristy

yellermelon

Rockin the Suburbs
Hmm I have another idea. What if some one posted a discreet..in need of very inexpencive m/f (cant remember wich it was right of top of my head)Enigma.. on the want adds on fauna, or KS...Just an idea..what do you guys think? Also Im glad to see you on here too Deb, its quite addictive...so be carefull!

D

DebraGeckosEtc

I'm not opposed to someone posting ads searching for enigmas. I don't think Steve or myself should do it, so if someone else wants to take that on, go for it! It's worth a try!

paulnj

I think only one person should do it though. How about everyone who wants to do it EMAIL Steve or Debra and they can reply to one of them giving the go ahead. That way NOBODY but them knows who is looking for a stolen one and who is looking for a deal ;)

How's that sound to you Steve and Deb?

D

DebraGeckosEtc

That sounds fine to me. Steve's out of town, so I'll make the executive decision!

yellermelon

Rockin the Suburbs
lol, I figure most enigma owners that would reply to that want add, are members here, so if our members know then only the crook should reply...theoretically. PM me if you need me to post the add.

Albey

Debra and Steve,
I am sorry you guys got ripped off. That takes all of the fun out of show when something like that happens. I have read most of this thread and even though everyone has good intentions on trying to catch the thieves and getting it back, I would think that anyone knowing the worth of that animal would have to know about this Forum. It really is the only place that Enigmas are discussed. It's not like Kingsnake has anybody talking about them. I hate to say it but I think you are probably going to have to write that one off and learn from the experience. Thieves can be very smart. They probably waited until only one of you was at your booth. It could have very easily been Steve there alone when it happened especially if they used a diversion.

DanTheFireman

About 12 years ago (I believe it was the '94 or '95 Expo when it was still in Orlando... sorry, I'm old and it's all just a blur) I watched a team of three thieves stealing from vendors. I followed them for a half hour and finally saw their technique at Crutchfield's table. Tom's wife was talking to customers and Tom was around the corner at their large display. There was one guy about 20 and two about 16 with backpacks. Our table had been hit twice before and we were on high alert. The older guy would approach the table and act like a prospective buyer, then when the vendor was occupied one of the younger guys would casually edge up to the table and slide a deli cup back to the third guy behind him who strolled away and put the deli in his backpack. When I told Tom he just told them to get out but didn't seem too concerned. By the time I got security they were gone. It took some restraint not to just pound them, it was super crowded and I was just dumbfounded - I probably should have grabbed one and yelled thief. These guys must practice quite a bit because they're very smooth and nonchalant. After that we went to a large display with plexi cover but still had one expensive animal disappear from behind our booth after hours a few years later so lock them up or take the special stuff back to the room.

IMacBevan

I have to admit that this was the first time I've actually made it to this show since it's inception several years back. I quite enjoyed talking with Marcia and others I had not seen in quite some time. It was also nice to see some of the folks that took time to mentor me ages ago when I started in this hobby.

As some one who is rather new to this show I was a little surprised at how concerned security was in preventing people from not getting in unless they had a wrist band or vendor tag and how little they checked packages and bags at the door. I was helping a friend of mine with his booth so I came in with a Vendor tag, but left without one (he needed it for help coming on sunday) and I walked out without either of those items and was not stopped at all. I know that the IRBA Shows are generally not everyone's favorite to attend, but I will give them credit in that the ones I have been to you can't get out the door without a receipt for anything. Too bad we couldn't combine the security from one with the look, feel and attraction of the other.

I guess my main question is did anyone who was affected talk with the show management and organizers? What was their response?

Just curious...

Ian

rubym

OMG. I so want an enigma but I could never imagine STEALING one. If this person wanted one so bad maybe they should do like I do and have their enigma jar. When I want to run out and buy a candy bar or a pop instead I stick that $1.00 in my jar. I figure nby the time I have enough they will have come down in price, LOL. I agree with those that have stated that they just hope that the poor little guy was stolen by some Knowledgable idiots!!!!! I am having enough trouble getting used to the idea that I can't keep all of my "babies" that we hatch....I couldn't imagine one of them being out there with heaven only knows who. I hope this person is stupid enough to try and resell it so they are caught!!!!

paulnj

The background on my computer is that image and I will gimp a person if I find it and they can sue me for a wheel chair. I hate thieves!!!

malt_geckos

Don't Say It's Impossible
Yeah, Unfortunately, I don't think that the person who stole it breeds geckos....I'm not sure that there are too many thieves in the gecko community.... It was more than likely, someone who just saw what it was worth, stole it, and then re-sold it to someone... :(

DAWNoftheLEO

malt_geckos said:
Yeah, Unfortunately, I don't think that the person who stole it breeds geckos....I'm not sure that there are too many thieves in the gecko community.... It was more than likely, someone who just saw what it was worth, stole it, and then re-sold it to someone... :(

I doubt it was that. Just my opinion. Noone would buy an enigma that didn't know what it's potential was. Even if it was resold, it was to someone in the reptile industry/community.

SteveGeckosEtc

Thanks everyone for checking in. No, we have not seen her again. We weren't very hopeful that we would. We just wanted to get the word out just in case someone saw her for sale somewhere.

We certainly appreciate everyone's concern, and hopefully we've all learned important lessons!

Visit our friends