Kiara_leb

Since day one my leopard gecko has been a picky eater. One day he’ll love crickets, then the next day he won’t. There was a time when he loved wax worms and now he doesn’t. He absolutely hates mealworms and super worms, and I even tried giving him a pinky rat just to try something different and he didn’t eat that either. There was also a point where he loved horn worms and I was only feeding him horn worms because they were the only thing he’d eat, but the last time I tried he refused them. I went back to crickets and would leave a couple in the tank for him to eat on his own time. They’re usually all gone by the end of the week but I can never tell if he’s eating them or if they’re just dying. I found that he won’t eat anything that isn’t moving or is dead so therefore he hated the dried food I bought him. I also got him those gourmet crickets in a can and he didn’t like those either. On the ocasión that he does eat he’ll eat maybe one or two insects and then he’s done and i usually only try to feed once a week to avoid stressing him out. He still poops normally and I catch him drinking water sometimes which is good and sorta tells me he most likely doesn’t have any parasites or worms. His heat is always perfect and I Rarely turn his day light on. The place I got him from didn’t know his age but I’m pretty sure he’s older. His tail is always fat surprisingly and he’s only shed twice since I’ve had him (that I know of). I know picky eating is a common issue with geckos and Im not the type to give up on pets because they’re getting too hard to handle, but I’m kinda lost and running out of ideas on what to do with this guy.
He’s sitting all by himself in a 20 gallon tank. He still runs fast and can see normally and he’s always hiding except for when I wake up in the middle of the night to him standing under the heat lamp. I also leave some calcium without D3 in a shallow dish for him since he’s not eating.
I guess my question is, what should I do in terms of food? And is there anything wrong with his husbandry that Could be affecting his eating habits? 65A8726A-3C7A-48D8-A3C6-F0E9F35992FC.jpeg

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Geckos are funny creatures. Sometimes they eat and sometimes they don't. I had one that basically didn't eat between November and May. As long as he doesn't get skinnier I say just keep offering and hope for the best.

Aliza

Onelifegecs

if you want to you could attempt Dubia roches (Ik roaches ew lol) that was the sweet spot for one of my geckos but that’s up to you lol just a suggestion

Kiara_leb

if you want to you could attempt Dubia roches (Ik roaches ew lol) that was the sweet spot for one of my geckos but that’s up to you lol just a suggestion
Oh yea I’ve tried roaches too. At one point he was eating those a lot so I ordered a subscription for them online and then of course he stopped eating them lol

Onelifegecs

It may be time to start a couple of feeder colonies so you always have this mans food of choice for the week on hand lol. Got to love them

Visit our friends